Saturday, September 15, 2007

Two Weeks In

It is now September 15th and I've successfully completed 15 days. I’m not sure what exactly I’ve expected thus far, but it’s been that and more. Some days are harder than others. Already I’ve noticed that earlier in the week people are more likely to be rushing to and fro- and it is much easier to just grab an acquaintance on those days. Earlier this week when wandering around Palo Alto trying to find a person for the 11th, it seemed absolutely everyone was rushing about or engaged in conversations that it would be rude to interrupt. That day I ended up walking in circles for nearly an hour and a half before I decided to try my luck at Stanford where I found my face of the day. In the two weeks I’ve been to two weddings and found those days so incredibly easy. When you’re at an event, and people aren’t roaming about they’re much more relaxed and easy to approach. Then the issue isn’t finding someone, it’s about being limited to one. Whereas during the midweek slump after a long shift it’s harder to muster up the energy to even talk to one person. I feel like I’ve been cheating to meet so many of the people in and around Starbucks, but because I work there, if I’m having a busy day it’s so much easier to just talk to someone while I’m on my lunch break. I’m guessing part of this is because even if I don’t know them, they’ve seen my face while getting coffee so thus they’re more likely not to just assume I’m a weirdo who they need to avoid. The other problem I’ve encountered is purely technical- my external hard drive died and without a place to put my files my computer is being slowed down. This means I’ve got to upload in batches, work goes slowly, and right now I’m at the point where I need to go purchase another one before I can upload more photos. As soon as I’ve got one you’ll see yesterday’s and today’s faces. Until then- hope you enjoyed looking at these and I’ll keep you updated on my progress (though most likely in bursts of posts rather than daily updates.)

No comments: